iSavta Blog / What is the Ontario Home Care Association and why should you care
What is the Ontario Home Care Association and why should you care
The iSavta Team | 29.08.2019
Their aim is to create a strong network of providers so that older adults in Ontario can receive the best possible care in their homes and in the community.
The organisations that are members of the Ontario Home Care Association must comply with certain standards and expectations, but in return, receive assistance to carry out their work.
As well as providing assistance to their members, the Ontario Home Care Association also has a great deal of information on their website regarding home care in Ontario. This includes reports, news and events, as well as information for families who wish to learn more about home care.
For those looking to find home care in Ontario, the Ontario Home Care Associate is a great place to start.
Why you should care?
If you are looking for home care services:
If you are an older adult or a caregiver, you may be looking to find additional home care. The Ontario Home Care Association can help you to find a provider for this care.
You can use their search function to find a registered provider in your local area. The website also provides information about finding the right care provider for your or your loved one’s needs.
The Ontario Home Care Association gives unbiased information about the difference between private and government-funded care. They give an overview of the funding available for home care in Ontario and how to apply for this.
The organisation provides really helpful information on how to navigate the care system in Ontario, as well as the different types of care that are available for older adults, including:
- Respite care (temporary care so that in-home caregivers can take a break)
- Palliative care (end-of-life including hospice care)
- Dementia/Alzheimer’s Care
They also provide information about medical equipment that may be needed by seniors receiving home care, and how to access and apply for funding for said equipment.
If you are a nurse and wish to work in-home care in Ontario:
The Ontario Home Care Association is a particularly useful organisation for those wishing to work in home care nursing in the state of Ontario. They provide clear information about the history and status of home care in Ontario, and the role of home care nursing in the state. More information can be found in the organisation’s publication, Home Care Nursing in Ontario.
If you want to start a career as a Personal Support Worker:
Along with several other organisations, the Ontario Home Care Association has developed a campaign to help people learn how to become a Personal Support Worker and gain employment in the industry. You can find out more at Work for Life.
If you are a home care organisation in Ontario:
The Ontario Home Care Association is a membership organisation with over 30,000 members from 40 home care organisations, and by joining you can expect the following benefits:
- The most up-to-date advice and news on relevant issues to the homecare industry in Ontario. This includes trends, safety issues, environmental issues, and employment issues.
- Opportunities to network with others in the industry.
- Advocacy for issues in the sector.
- Training and education, such as webinars and a conference for those interested in the homecare industry.
- Exclusive access to certain publications that are industry-relevant.
- A legal support call program.
If you are an organisation, you are showing that you are committed to providing high-quality home care in Ontario.
Check out the criteria for membership to see if your organisation can join the Ontario Home Care Association.
If you work in a home care organisation that is not a member:
As you can see, there are huge benefits to being a member of the Ontario Home Care Association. If the organisation that you work for is not a member, why not make them aware of this organisation? This could help to bring positive changes for you, your organisation, and your clients.
If you want to start a home care organisation in Ontario:
If you are interested in helping other people and growing this industry within the state, the Ontario Home Care Association can support you in creating a new business, or becoming involved in a franchise. For more information, check out their list of franchises. They also have some helpful links for information on starting your own business.
If you want positive changes to be made:
The Ontario Home Care Association also plays an advocacy role on committees and task forces to help to generate funding as well as create policies that help with home care services and services in the community.
They can help to create very positive changes within the community for those receiving, and working in, home care in Ontario.
Here are some examples of just some of the things that Ontario Home Care Association have been doing to make changes to care in the state:
- Creating fairer workplaces for those working in care.
- Advocating for a caregiver allowance and tax credits for those wishing to purchase care from private providers.
- Helping to put nursing at the forefront of home care in the state.
- Spreading information on homecare policies and updates through the media in order to inform the public of the need-to-know information.
- Supporting research in home care.
- Collaborating with other organisations to improve things like nursing and therapy in Ontario.
- Carried out charitable work including donations of money, food, clothes, and so on.
To summarise, the Ontario Home Care Organisation does fantastic work in developing and supporting the home care sector in the state of Ontario. If you are looking for work, seeking a care organisation, work in a home care organisation, or wish to start one, the Ontario Home Care Association is a superb resource.
Signup and find caregivers now!